Wednesday, November 30, 2005

"They're signals, Jerry, signals!"

I don't have a tv. I wouldn't have time to watch it if I did.

But I did have one for a short time. And during that time I discovered 'Seinfeld'. This was after it was into re-runs.

So I'm happy with my computer that can play my dvd collection of Seinfeld.

One of my favorite episodes involves a girl that Jerry met on the road who was coming to visit him in New York.

At first she was going to stay in a hotel, but then she telephoned Jerry and said that she couldn't find a decent hotel room and asked Jerry if she could stay with him.

Jerry accomodates her on this request and promptly rents a bed.

This a decision that flabbergasts his friend George.

"What do you mean she can't find a decent hotel room in New York City?"

"If you're going to get an extra bed, you might as well get an extra guy while you're at it!"

"They're signals, Jerry, signals!"

I don't get signals either.

Once, a few years ago at this church I saw this beautiful girl, and I thought I'd like to introduce myself. Usually I feel happy if I can just get a nice introduction. I wasn't prepared for her next statement.

"I'm going to the lake this afternoon to hang out with some friends on a yacht!"

I wasn't upset, but in my mind, I was thinking, why do people always rub it in how much fun they are having....

I told her that sounds like fun and I hoped she had a fun day. Then we awkwardly said goodbye, and I wandered off.

Just moments afterward, I said 'ouch' as the palm of my hand attacked my forehead, realizing what had just happened.

Similarly, I met a girl in high school the second half of my junior year.

I prayed blessings on the art teacher for sitting the new girl Angie across the art table from me.

We talked as much as I was able to, but I was completely beside myself.

I didn't think too much about it. Well, I thought a lot about Angie, but didn't read too much into what was happening, or not happening.

Once I had seen her with someone I knew from church. To make conversation with her I asked her if she knew my friend. She said yes, and then she asked me if that was who I liked. Of course I said no, and then she asked me who I did like.

My internal security team sent an all systems message that no, this is a secret, that she, no, that no one can ever know this confidential information.

The teacher started calling attendance, and speechless, I motioned to her that we needed to pay attention to this most important activity.

It happened once again, she was asking me about a friend who was a girl that I would eat lunch with sometimes.

"Is that who you like?"

Continued....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home