Monday, October 01, 2007

The Thirty Hole Quandry

A friend of mine is in the middle of moving a house to a new property. She sends out regular emails updating me and a group of her friends with the progress of her move. Each email has spiritual tie-ins via 'stream of consciousness'. I was particularly struck by the following, received last week. I like her writing style, with her permission I'm posting it just like she sent it.

At this point in her story, the house is sitting on the new property, in sections.

---------------------------------------------------------

So, I thought the roof was a big deal right...but nooooooo. As I talked with my son-in-law about the foundation...he hesitated. That hesitation told me the whole story right there. I squinted my eyes towards the sky and thought...was I out of my mind or was I dreaming all of this... I looked back behind me and sure enough the house was sitting there...looking very, very disheveled!! Turns out the story is that the rain pushed all the jobs back so the soonest they would get to it would be Christmas!! Yep, Christmas. But this guy he knows can do the foundation one hole every night for 30 nights....blah, blah, blah.... I turn off my brain... actually it shut itself off after the first couple of sentences. And I had to shake my head and wonder....Poor Jessica, it was her turn to turn green. We take turns ... she weakens... I weaken.... sometimes it is crazy when we both do it at the same time....
Then I think... the only way out is through....So... I have the foundation guy (structural engineer) looking at the footprint to see what has to be done... We are talking about piers... that go under the house. There needs to be approx 30 holes dug and 12 inches deep and 10 inches wide. Late last night I thought.... this isn't rocket science. Something can be done...
This morning I was doing my prayer and meditation and I looked over at the verse that has been with me since the beginning of this whole deal...
"Unless the Lord builds the house,they labor in vain who build it" Ps. 127:1
All through the time of looking for the right house I took my time and didn't push my will but waited until I felt the right house was found...And I know this is the right one...
Then I thought about the fact that we are talking about the foundation of the house... and understanding that even in our own lives we need to have a firm foundation, one that works to build our spiritual house on. I won't go into detail but when I reached a certain age all the truths that I thought my life was built on got really shaky... I had to reevaluate what it was I believed and readjust accordingly. Now at first it was huge... I had to look at my upbringing in the Catholic church... look at the beliefs in the family I was raised in etc... it was painful work and it was wonderful work... Now for the most part I can say my foundation is set. I have to adjust here and there as I learn new things.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home