Thursday, April 20, 2006

Losing My Keys

I used to lose my keys.

A lot.

Especially in the mornings as I was trying to get to work.

When I was living with my my mom, dad and sister and lost my keys I would always run around frantically and demand of whoever was in the house at the time where they had put my keys....

Later, I moved out and then the fear was that I had locked them in the car or left them in the mailbox or the front door of my apartment. Then I would imagine somebody had taken them and were lying in wait until I left so they could come in and rob me blind.

I worked as a security guard for Dell Computer my first few years in Austin. I eventually worked into a 7am-3pm shift.

Understand that if you're working as a security guard, even though you are scheduled to work until a certain time, you may not get to go home at that time.

Certainly when I was working my way through college on a 3-11 shift it was always during finals week that inspired my relief to quit showing up and I'd have to work a double shift.

With no hope of sleep until after the final exams of the day, this always stuck in my craw a little bit when it happened.

Happily, the extra 8 hours always seemed to improve my test score each time it happened.

So that brings us to Austin, where I was working the forementioned day shift, and forgetting my keys.

Towards the end of an 11am-7am shift, one is always pleased to see the relief show up at 7.

These things were in my mind one particular morning as I was frantically searching for those elusive keys.

The clock was ticking closer and closer to 7 AM, and my keys were
GONE.

I searched and searched, working up a bit of a sweat and a panic, but no keys.

Even though I had already checked, I continued to pad down my pants pockets to make sure they weren't they-as if I had missed them the first time.

In despair, I gave up.

I slumped down on the floor and laid up against my bed. I called Miriam, an older wiser spiritual person who gets up early every day.

She suggested I get still and pray about it.

We got off the phone, and I followed her advice.

Unsure of what to do next, I put my hands down slightly under the bed to push myself back up, and under my right hand I felt a familiar friend.

My keys!

Since then I have been in many similar situations like this since, not so much anymore as I have learned to put my keys in the same place everyday.

Also loading them down with keyrings and other non-essential items gives it more girth and weight.

Getting quiet and praying seems to always take care of the situation.

3 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger WinSpin said...


Welcome to the family syndrome ... about one year ago, I sat down (or perhaps stood up) and tried to conjure up in my mind every possible senario of me and my keys staying together.
I had three additional ignition keys made for my old Taurus. One of the keys is at home on the dresser. Another is in my desk drawer at the office. Yet another is in one of those magnetic key holders which is placed inside of the lid of the gas input compartment of the car. Finally, I carry the fourth key on my keyring ... mainly to appear normal.
As to house keys. There is one inside the house (I don't know why), then there is one on my key ring (to appear normal), then I have another house key inside of another magnetic holder clamped onto the back side of our hot water heater in the garage.
I need some additional extra keys for Mom 'cause she is worse than I am about losing the little outfits. However, when I went to purchase an extra ignition key for her Nissan, they wanted to charge me $125.00. So we do not have an extra ignition key for the Nissan.
Hope that doesn't appear too abnormal ...
Anyway, remembering where you put your keys is the key to remembering where you put them ...

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Hopefully, no dishonest person who knows you will read your comment because if they do they will know how to steal your car and gain access to your house if you're not home.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger WinSpin said...


Well, you have to remember that I was talking about the old Taurus. Think I could leave it parked all night in downtown Houston with the doors unlocked and the motor running. That would be as safe or safer than parking it in the garage at home ...
Should I mention that my insurance covers theft?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home