Thursday, April 20, 2006

Walking in my Sleep

I'm not sure if I walk in my sleep or not.

However I once had an experience that made me question whether or not I DRIVE in my sleep.

I was working as a security guard at Dell Computer, ensuring that the appropriate freight carrier had picked up the correct shipment of computers.

During weeks of heavy shipping it was not unusual to work overtime and meet the guard that had relieved the evening before.

One morning I left my apartment and got into my car to go to work. I had this funny, distinct feeling that I had just barely gotten home, but as much as we would work during this time, I wrote it off as business as usual.

Shortly after I got to work I got a call from the security manager.

"Brian, did you come into the building last night around 4 AM?"

Hmmm.

I didn't know, I still am not sure to this day.

I did tell him that it would't be my practice to do so, that my concerns at that time of the morning would be more about where my pillow is, or maybe getting a drink of water, but it would all center around being horizontal in my bed and not much more.

He told me the badge reader at a door that would normally be locked at that time registered an entrance attempt by my badge.

My biggest concern at that moment was what I might have been wearing.

Would I have put my uniform on, or would I have gone in my normal sleepwear?

As this blog is more or less a family venture I will not share that specific information.

Embarrasment would be heavily connected to the idea that I might have gone to work at 4 AM in that manner.

Fortunately, a review of the security videotape could not confirm that I had been there, and no more was ever mentioned of the matter. It was passed off as a glitch in the system.

It was just one of those things,

just one of those crazy flings,

one of those bells that now and then rings,

just one of those things....

1 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger WinSpin said...


No one will ever know if you were out driving around Austin during the wee hours.
What bothers me is when I am driving while wide awake then discover I don't know where I've been or where I am going ...
Hang in there, Son. You're doing fine ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home