Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Bush-'Carter is Irrelevant'

An interesting thing has been developing over the weekend.

CNN and MSNBC is reporting that Former President Jimmy Carter was quoted in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette as saying, 'I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history.'

White House Spokesman Tony Fratto responded from Camp David, 'I think it's sad that President Carter's reckless personal criticism is out there," said Fratto. "I think it's unfortunate. And I think he is proving to be increasingly irrelevant with these kinds of comments.'

President Carter has actually become more relevant and influential in his later years, showing himself to be a more effective and compent leader.

Because of Carter's willingness to stand up not only against the current administration but on other Presidential issues such as the Middle East, Bush's response seems to be rather weak. Maybe Carter doesn't have the power of the Presidency to make better choices, but Bush's camp barely has power or room to disagree much with the assertions of Carter, because Carter is right. Carter couldn't be all that irrelevant if the Bush camp felt they had to respond to Carter's comments.

The only criticism I have of Carter is that he actually backpedaled this week, possibly to keep the peace-former Presidents don't historically travel much into Presidential matters after their tenure.

Carter's comments on Monday's 'Today' show: 'And I think Richard Nixon had a very good and productive foreign policy and my remarks were maybe careless or misinterpreted. But I wasn't comparing the overall administration and I was certainly not talking personally about any president,' Carter said.

If he was not talking personally about any President, he should've been. Many more people should be willing to take a stand.

Whether or not the remarks were possibly misinterpreted or careless, nevertheless the comments were definitely well placed.

3 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

I agree completely. I looked over Chad's shoulder as he was reading the paper this morning and said, "Oh -- Carter's backpedaling now." That's when I was disappointed, too.

Maybe we just don't want to admit now that we are living under the administration of a president who has done irreparable damage to our country. But I think it will become more obvious in the future -- the farther we get away from 2008.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I believe that President Bush does not in anyway act alone, that his actions represent those of a larger body of people who are trying to create a different country that what you and I grew up in. If it was just Cheney and himself, they would have been stopped a long time ago.

This business about Bush being a stupid idiot is a well thought out cover.

At best, he knows exactly what he's doing. The reality is that he is probably being intentionally misinformed by people that know exactly what they are doing.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger WinSpin said...


I sort of lost my "like" for President Carter when he allowed the Panama Canal to go back to Panama. We had a 99-year perpetual lease on the Zone but he chose not to renew the lease (although I am certain he was not acting alone).
I played my Olds trombone in every high school in Panama as our band travelled around conducting "Operation Friendship." This was designed to draw us Gringos closer to the younger generation of Panamanians. So who did Panama hire to oversee canal operations? The Chinese. Thus we have the next world empire within 1000 miles of our country, controlling a major waterway between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
As for President Bush and illegal immigration and the war, etc, etc, don't get me started ...
I am concerned not for me and not so much for my children but I am concerned for our grandchildren. Their generation certainly will bear the brunt of today's self-serving politics

 

Post a Comment

<< Home