Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Nothing to Write About

This post is dedicated to the memory of Shel Silverstein, one my favorite poets. He writes for children, but if you're too old to appreciate his work, then you're just too old. It's also dedicated to the late American composer John Cage, who said, among many things, "I have nothing to say, and I am saying it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have nothing to say today.

Absolutely nothing.

No comments, no observations, no realizations, no epiphanies.

No lost loves to lament, no new loves to pine.

No good news to rejoice in, no bad news to weep over.

There is absolutely not one thing that I can think of to communicate.

Out of 26 letters in the alphabet, nine numbers and miscellaneous punctuation marks and symbols, none of them mean anything to me today, because I simply have nothing to say.

If I did I'd be happy to use them.

There they are: so easy to push-yet I won't push any of them to express what is not there to express.

If I was a symphony, a conductor could try to count me off today.

He'd say, "1-2-3-4" but no music would play; there'd be nothing but silence.
If I was an email address, I would be words@nothingtosay.com (that is not a valid email address).

If someone asked '5-6-7-8, who do we appreciate?' I'd give no answer, because today, I have nothing to say.

Hopefully by the time I'm 90 I will have something to say, and when I do, I'll say it.

There's usually a 99% chance that I'll have something to say. And I would almost bet you $5.00 that tomorrow I will!

I just don't have it today.

1/2 way through the day tomorrow, I hope to have something to write about.

Words+thoughts=something to say, and I just don't have it.

It's not that I don't know my alphabet. Allow me to recite:

Abcdefg, hijklmnop. Qrstuv, wxy & z.

Now I've said my abc-s. Next time won't you sing with me?

Except there won't be a next time. Oh well.

One thing I will say-

*I have used every key on the keyboard at least once.

Oops, I didn't use these: {[~`^><_ /\]}....

Wait a minute, I did, I did!

1 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Brian said...

hey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home