Friday, January 20, 2006

The Laurel Crowned Princess-Chapter 9, 'Oh Yeah, I was Pretty Nervous'


‘I’ was talking to Memaw, completely on edge, but trying to maintain self-composure as much as I could. Memaw was succeeding in her part to console me. That of course was her specialty, and is why I had chosen to make this call from here and not home.

‘I’ started to get up and walk to the back of the house.

“I went to your office to make this call, so I could have some privacy.”

Then in the kitchen I turned toward the bathroom.

“Oh, yeah, I was pretty nervous.”

“Let’s go in the den and wait for me,” I said.

So we did, by the pool table. Momentarily, ‘I’ walked through the den and up the steps into Pepaw’s study.

I sat there for a few moments, and we were about to go in, but then ‘I’ got up again, and went back into the kitchen to get a glass of water. Memaw had also cut some fruit for me and I took that back with me.

Then we went into the study and sat in the chairs opposite the desk to see what was about to happen.

‘I’ made a phone call on the old rotary phone in his office, and I wrote down a number.

“Oh yeah, I called the college to get her number, I forgot about that.”

“It looks like you’re drawing something on a piece of paper….”

“Oh yeah, this is sooo cool! I drew a picture of a telephone and wrote a poem about the fear that I had of making this phone call. Oh God, look at me, I’m so scared.”

Then ‘I’ picked up the receiver. “Oh God, this must be it, when I called her.”

Go To Chapter 10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home